NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Zale (ZLC) is planning to sell a minority stake in the company to private-equity firm Golden Gate, according to several reports, and shares of Zale are surging in Wednesday morning trading on the news.
Golden Gate's offer was chosen over proposals from Centerbridge Capital Partners and TPG, Bloomberg reported -- though the deal, of course, could still crumble.
Zale's sales have been struggling amid the recession, forcing the company to hire turnaround firm Peter J. Solomon to help it find investors.
The company also has only a few days left to decide whether or not to pay a $6 million Citibank fine to handle its credit card business. At the end of March, Zale extended the due date for the fee to the end of April.A bulk of Zale's sales are made through credit cards, and without the financing it could lose a significant portion of its business. Shares of Zale are surging 7.9% to $3.43 in morning trading on the news. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV