Spirit's top two markets are Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Detroit. It is No. 1 in the former, holding 20% of the market, and No. 2 in the latter, holding about 5% of the market, which is dominated by Delta (DAL). Atlantic City is a key market, as is Myrtle Beach, where Spirit is the only carrier to fly big jets as opposed to regional jets.
In terms of the operational realities of the airline industry, the charge makes perfect sense because it addresses a major problem: delays incurred when passengers search for space in overhead bins, typically to stash their roller boards. By cutting five minutes from the time each aircraft spends at the gate, Spirit could gain 15 hours of flight time each day, Baldanza said. The carrier's 29 aircraft make about a half dozen "turns" each day.
However, the airline industry is also sensitive to public and Congressional opinion. On Sunday, Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said five airlines told him that they will not institute fees for carry-on bags. These include Delta, American (AMR), United (UAUA), US Airways (LCC) and JetBlue (JBLU).
Spirit doesn't care what other carriers do. "We're indifferent about whether they follow," Baldanza said. However, it is worth noting that Spirit was the first U.S. carrier to charge for the first checked bag, starting in June 2007. It was not until February 2008 that United
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV