The fine is a result of delays in Toyota telling government officials about problems with a sticky gas pedal. But the agreement is worded in a way that will allow Toyota to avoid admitting that it knowingly hid the defect from regulators.
Toyota recalled about 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. as a result of the issue. As recent as Friday, the company said it is recalling 600,000 Sienna minivans due to possible corrosion in the spare-tire-carrier cable.
This is the largest civil penalty ever issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."By failing to report known safety problems as it is required to do under the law, Toyota put consumers at risk," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood in the release. "I am pleased that Toyota has accepted responsibility for violating its legal obligations to report any defects promptly. We are continuing to investigate whether the company has lived up to all its disclosure obligations." The automobile maker will have 30 days to pay the fine. Shares of Toyota are slipping 0.5% to $78.98 in morning trading. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV