Yet that is my understanding of the situation. In other words, what is Exhibit A against the government's case? That Goldman believed in the paper itself.
I also think that there is simply an important issue here that the government is leaving out. Goldman does not sell washing machines. They do not sell vacuum cleaners. They sell pieces of paper that are fully disclosed, and you can go long or short them based on the info. There is no guarantee. There never has been.
These are sophisticated clients. They have the ability to look over the material they are shorting or buying. The information is available. They have the ability to do more due diligence than just asking the rating agency.I think this is very important to consider: if Goldman owned a piece of the paper, as I understand to be the case, and if Goldman did not have discretion over the German bank that bought the paper, and if Paulson didn't pick knowingly fraudulent pieces of paper that Goldman was in on, I just don't think the case is a great one. But it's a terrific excuse to sell. At the time of publication, Cramer was long Goldman Sachs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV