iShares: Dow Regional Banks (IAT)
A bunch of regional banks report this week, including Zions (ZION), KeyCorp (KEY), PNC Financial (PNC), Fifth Third (FITB), U.S. Bancorp (USB) and Marshall & Ilsley (MI).
At 18.2% of IAT, U.S. Bancorp will have a large impact on this ETF, but the next 10 holdings also report, in addition to others. Within the top 20 holdings alone, companies representing more than two-thirds of the assets in IAT are reporting earnings.
On Friday, Goldman Sachs (GS) walloped the financial sector, and the regional bank ETFs, which had been outperforming, were not spared.
However, the regional banks are not as involved with CDOs, and commercial real estate is the greater risk. Since the focus has turned to fraud and litigation, good earnings news this week may lead investors to separate the financials, as they have been doing in 2010, clearing the way for regional banks to lead a market rebound.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV