But there certainly have been a few challengers.
The Google (GOOG) Android-powered Motorola (MOT) Droid has been one of the biggest threats -- and a solid seller -- but it hasn't quite matched the iPhone's star status. The Palm (PALM) Pre arrived last year full of hope and promise. But all it took was a little Verizon snub to send Palm down the path to oblivion.
Apple's iPhone is strong, but it might not be invincible. If the iPhone has one key vulnerability, it's style. The iPhone is going into its fourth year with basically the same look and feel it had when it arrived in 2007. It's like having your DVR still set to record Survivor or styling your hair in that forward-jutting Rihanna 2007 bob. By fashion standards, the Apple iPhone design is dated. By gadget yardsticks, it's ancient.A major iPhone makeover is expected in 2011. The new -- possibly 4G, possibly Verizon (VZ) -- iPhone, will include an 8-megapixel camera from Sony (SNE),TheStreet has learned. For now, however, the iPhone is a big fat target for rivals. Here is the next round of up-and-coming phones due out this year that will attempt to outsmart the iPhone.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV