United, US Airways Deal Gathers Steam
CHARLOTTE, N.C. ( TheStreet) -- A merger deal between United (UAUA) and US Airways (LCC) gathered steam Thursday, as US Airways pilots asked for an emergency stay in a seniority battle viewed as an impediment to a deal.
US Airways pilots believe a deal is far enough along that on Thursday they filed a request for a stay in U.S. Appeals Court in San Francisco, in a case focused on the seniority dispute that separates the pilot groups at US Airways and America West, which merged in 2005 but still work under separate contracts.
Were United and US Airways to merge, three groups of pilots would have to reach a deal, a difficult task made even more difficult because the relative status of two of the groups is unclear without the court's decision. Moreover, the pending case hinders US Airways' ability to negotiate contract issues with its pilots.
According to the filing, "(an) emergency results from the fact that the pending injunction will prevent a corporate merger that would create an airline capable of competing with the recent Delta/Northwest combination." The lack of resolution could "thwart economic benefits and preservation of jobs that might accrue to the corporations and employees," the filing said.The request was filed three days after leaders of the U.S. Airline Pilots Association
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV