NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- General Electric (GE) grew earnings in its appliances and lighting unit largely through layoffs and discretionary spending cuts last year, but now it's looking to energy-saving initiatives to spur growth.
|James Campbell, GE Lighting and Appliance chief|
"A lot of it was tough cost actions," says James Campbell, the unit's President and CEO, in an interview with TheStreet. "We had to make some draconian kinds of moves around head count, T&E [travel and entertainment spending] -- a lot of the traditional things a lot of other companies did. We were able to get some deflation in the marketplace and leverage that, and you know quite honestly it was a lot of blocking and tackling because our top line was down."
The appliances and lighting unit grew earnings by 10% last year, delivering $400 million in operating profits to the parent. General Electric is slated to report its first-quarter results before the opening bell on Friday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV