TheStreet's equity model upgraded the following three small-cap financial shares, two of which have lagged behind stock-market benchmarks. They trade at discounts to rivals and offer yields as high as 5.8%, more than most large-cap financials.
3. The model upgraded TF Financial (THRD), a savings bank and mortgage lender, to "buy."
Quarter: Fourth-quarter profit more than doubled to $1.2 million, or 46 cents a share, as revenue declined 3.5%. The operating margin widened from 13% to 23%. TF has $13 million of cash and $80 million of debt, amounting to a debt-to-equity ratio of 1.1.Stock: TF Financial has risen 1.5% during the past year, underperforming U.S. stock-market indices. It trades at a price-to-projected-earnings ratio of 9.6 and a price-to-book ratio of 0.7, 75% and 48% discounts to peer averages. The shares offer a 4.2% dividend yield. Holders: No analysts cover TF Financial. Five of its 10 largest shareholders, four of whom are company insiders, increased their holdings during the fourth quarter. Two top shareholders retained the size of their positions and three decreased them. 2. The model upgraded insurer Hallmark Financial Services (HALL) to "buy." Quarter: Hallmark swung to a fourth-quarter profit of $9.3 million, or 46 cents, from a loss of $2.4 million, or 12 cents, a year earlier. Revenue increased 22%. The operating margin stretched to 18%. Hallmark has $117 million of cash and $60 million of debt. Stock: Hallmark has appreciated 43% during the past 12 months, more than the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 Index. It sells for a price-to-projected-earnings ratio of 10 and a price-to-book ratio of 0.9, 16% and 23% discounts to peer averages. Consensus: Of analysts following Hallmark, two advise purchasing its shares and two recommend holding them. Piper Jaffray (PJC), which rates Hallmark "buy," expects the stock to advance 41% to $14. Keefe, Bruyette & Woods (KBW) thinks it will hit $10.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV