Empire State Manufacturing Surges in April
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- New York manufacturers reported a steep pick up in activity in April, according to a report released from the New York Federal Reserve Thursday.
The Empire State Manufacturing index, which is cobbled together using a survey of manufacturing executives around New York state, registered a 31.9 reading in April. The showing is a stark improvement from March when the index read 21.9, and also bettered the consensus forecast provided by Briefing.com of 24.
More specific survey readings throughout the manufacturing realm also showed an improving picture. A sub-index which measures inventories rose to 11.4 this month, which the report highlighted as a new record. The New York Fed also said the prices paid index jumped to its best showing since the end of 2008, rising by 12 points to read 41.8.
A gauge on employment numbers grew to its best mark in two years, the report said, climbing higher by 8 points to read 20.3 during the month.New orders added 4 points to register 29.5, while a reading on shipments improved 7 points to 32.1. --Written by Sung Moss in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV