NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Crude oil inventories unexpectedly dropped, providing a nice lift to energy futures on Wednesday, which were also helped by a weaker U.S. dollar.
Crude oil stockpiles fell for the first time in 11 weeks, according to Jeff Mower, chief editor of the Platts Oilgram Price Report. The Energy Information Administration reported a 2.2 million-barrel decline in crude stockpiles for the week ending April 9, dashing expectations for a build of 1.6 million barrels, according to a Platts survey of analysts. The industry's own American Petroleum Institute suggested a build late Tuesday, when the group reported its own tallies showing a 1.41 million barrel increase last week.
Gasoline supplies, which fell by 1.1 million barrels according to the report, were forecast to fall by 1.26 million barrels. Distillate fuels rose by 1.1 million barrels last week, landing more or less in line with expectations calling for a 1 million barrel build.
The May delivery crude contract, which was trading slightly higher before the report, watched its gains accelerate after the release. It hit a daily high of $86.39 but settled at $85.84, gaining $1.79, or 2.1%. May heating oil added 3 cents, or 1.3%, to settle at $2.24 a gallon, while May gasoline rose 2 cents higher, or 1%, to settle at $2.33 a gallon.A weaker dollar and bullish economic news also contributed to higher energy prices. The dollar index, which measures the greenback against a collection of global currencies, fell 0.3%. The Dow Jones Industrial Average finished the trading session with triple-digit gains and the S&P 500 closed above the 1200 level for the first time since September 2008. Equities rose on better-than-expected earnings from Intel (INTC) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM) along with a surge in
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV