Updates with latest share price, added information about the results.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- JPMorgan Chase (JPM) shares were closing in on a new 52-week high Wednesday after the bank topped Wall Street expectations for its first-quarter profit by a dime early Wednesday, aided by a strong revenue performance from its investment bank unit.
JPMorgan said it earned $3.3 billion, or 74 cents a share, for the three months ended in March with total revenue coming in at $28.2 billion. That performance was flat with its profit in the fourth quarter but up 55% from the same period a year earlier, in which it made $2.14 billion, or 40 cents a share.
The average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters was for a profit of 64 cents a share in the latest quarter on revenue of $26.47 billion.The better-than-expected revenue was a switch from the miss JPMorgan experienced in the fourth quarter when it fell short on the top line, and the shares rallied on the news. The stock was up 2.9% to $47.21 in morning trades. The high of $47.41 for the session was just below the stock's 52-week peak of $47.47, which dates back to Oct. 15, 2009. The performance was also lifting the rest of the big banks.
|Who Owns JPMorgan?|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV