Sprint would probably be left behind. One of the company's "hot" product makers, Palm (PALM), is likely to be acquired after its new offerings missed the mark with customers. The network has no blockbuster phones on the horizon to compete with those of AT&T and Verizon.
It appears that cell-phone service providers are essentially moving towards the utility model. With huge dividends of 6.3% for AT&T and Verizon, and little growth projected, big returns seem unlikely. However, Verizon and AT&T look appealing if you're looking for dividend income in a low-risk package. Their low beta values of 0.7 mean the stocks don't swing as widely as market averages. Otherwise, investing in the phone makers looks like the best bet for solid share price gains. Either way, avoid Sprint.
-- Reported by David MacDougall in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV