NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Apple (AAPL) and Microsoft (MSFT) have both had recent stellar smartphone moments, with Apple releasing an iPhone OS 4 update last week and Microsoft unveiling its two Kin phones yesterday. (The Kin One is pictured below.)
Yet many investors consider these stocks less than choice buys. Apple, which is trading at about $242.29, is expensive, and Microsoft's stock, which barely moved yesterday after the company's showy launch of two new youth-oriented phones, hasn't been very dynamic, gaining less than 1% in the last three months.
Plenty of other companies, though, are poised to benefit from the surging mobile phone boom. They're just a little less obvious.With AT&T (T) pumping a billion dollars into its network this year, telco infrastructure is set to be the next big battleground in the smartphone war. Networking, virtualization, cloud technology and even managed wireless services will all be key weapons. Juniper (JNPR) is one key player, a company that has clinched deals to support mobile data users on the Verizon (VZ) Wireless and Sprint (S) networks. For companies like Cisco (CSCO), VMware (VMW), EMC (EMC) and Aviat Networks (AVNW), smartphones will likely equal dollar signs in the very near future. Read on for more about these picks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV