The phones -- Kin One and Kin Two -- are aimed at social networking fans and continue in the tradition of the Sidekick phones that were big with texting youths. Both phones feature touchscreens with slide-out keypads. The Kin Two has a full Qwerty keyboard and an 8-megapixel camera.
Microsoft had been working on the youth-oriented phones for years under the name 'Project Pink' and the Zune phones.The move marks Microsoft's belated reentry into the mobile market and the first step in what is expected to be a bold new bet on smartphones later this year with the Windows Phone 7 operating system. Microsoft desperately needs to get back in the mobile phone game after rivals like Apple (AAPL), Google (GOOG) and Research In Motion (RIMM) have taken most of the smartphone business in the past three years. Microsoft, as TheStreet first reported, is working with at least one hardware manufacturer -- Asus -- on a touchscreen phone that it will sell directly to consumers, similar to its Xbox effort in video games and Zune media players. Microsoft shares were up a nickel to $30.39 as the announcement was made Monday. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV