NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- On week ago, we asked users of TheStreet how they'd compare Apple's (AAPL) new iPad tablet PC and Amazon's (AMZN) Kindle, just as the former was being launched for public consumption. Specifically, we wanted to learn if you thought the Apple iPad would bite into sales of the Kindle?
Only two reponses were offered: "Yes -- the iPad has Kindle's best features and then some," and "No -- the devices differ markedly and will have their own fan bases."
Depending on whose projections you believed, Apple either disappointed or exceeded debut sales expectations. Apple said that it sold more than 300,000 iPads that Saturday, including pre-orders of the device. This exceeded the debut weekend projections of some Wall Street analysts, who had expected sales of 250,000 to 350,000 units over the weekend, according to Reuters.
Meanwhile, millions of consumers currently own Kindles and, according to surveys, those who own Kindles on average purchase more than three times as many books as those who don't.
Stockpickr: Who Owns Amazon?
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV