Credit Suisse's Siegenthaler believes a pullback in the stocks in the wake of earnings is inevitable given their outperformance.
"We believe investors may initially react positively to [first quarter] results ... however we expect the excessive positive sentiment to drive a 10-15% pullback in stock prices after earnings," he says. "While we remain long-term bulls on the U.S. Regional Banks, we are more cautious over the near-term due to excessive sentiment and richer valuations."
In the end, delivering on or exceeding the ramped-up credit quality expectations will take precedence, or as Bank of America Merrill Lynch analysts put it, banks will need to show an "absolute improvement in credit metrics" for their stocks to build on hefty year-to-date gains.
--Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV