NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gold recently had a technical breakout surpassing $1,150 an ounce and history suggests that a pullback is likely to follow. Despite this, there are three reasons to consider adding the precious metal to a portfolio.
First, gold is a traditional hedge against inflation and the U.S. dollar. A combination of massive stimulus spending and excess printing of dollars by the government is ultimately going to lead to inflation and a weak dollar. With the inverse relationship between gold and the dollar, gold is likely to reap the benefits of the inevitable.
Second, the precious metal offers a good method of asset diversification. Gold, as with most other commodities, is uncorrelated to equities and bonds, meaning that gold generally reaps the benefits when traditional equities and bonds are falling. The primary reason behind this lack of correlation is because gold prices aren't driven by the same factors that drive the performance of other assets.
Gold is a nonearning asset whose demand is far more diverse than that of many other assets. Additionally, the demand for gold is driven by discretionary spending from the jewelry sector, investment demand and industrial demand; whereas demand for most commodities is primarily driven by industrial, non-discretionary demand.Lastly, the price of gold isn't at the mercy of government policy. Gold is an asset that cannot easily be issued or produced and is unlikely to witness large decreases in value overnight. Gold offers a hedge against inflation and a weak dollar, it helps investors maximize returns and minimize risks by balancing asset classes of different correlations and it is immune to government policy offering a hedge against poor monetary policy decisions. Some easy ways to gain access to the precious metal include:
- SPDR Gold Shares (GLD), which closed at $112.65 on Thursday
- iShares COMEX Gold Trust (IAU), which closed at $112.72 on Thursday
- PowerShares DB Gold Fund (DGL), which closed at $41.08 on Thursday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV