CUPERTINO, Calif. (TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) unveiled its new iPhone operating system, which takes aim at Google in mobile advertising but left fans looking for signs of a new iPhone version waiting.
Apple CEO Steve Jobs kicked off the iPhone OS 4.0 introduction show with a few round numbers Thursday: 450,000 iPads sold, 600,000 iBooks downloaded, 4 billion apps downloaded to date, and seven new iPhone features unveiled, called "tent poles" during the presentation.
The 450,000 iPad total is a bit troubling since it means Apple has sold only 150,000 more devices in the past four days. On Monday, the company said 300,000 iPads were sold on the first day. The iPad sales numbers, while solid, are far shy of some of the more aggressive forecasts for the new device.
According to bloggers at gdgt covering the event, Jobs emphasized the joy the device seems to bring people who buy it, flashing pictures of a girl gleefully opening an iPad box.Tech watchers who were awaiting more details of a fourth version of the iPhone to run on the new iPhone operating system were left empty handed, however. New iPhones have accompanied the three prior operating system upgrades.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV