This theme has picked up considerably in 2010 with the launch of a number of unique international products including the Market Vectors Egypt ETF (EGPT), the IndexIQ Canada Small Cap Index Fund (CNDA), the IndexIQ Australia Small Cap Index Fund (KROO)and the Global X China Materials ETF (CHIM), one of many China sector funds offered by firm. On Wednesday, Van Eck will launch its newest international product : the Market Vectors Latin America Small Cap Index ETF (LATM) .
For now, no ETF newcomer, whose plans were put on ice by the SEC, has shown signs of joining this trend. However, the benefit of offering new alternative international products is two-fold: the nature of these types of funds allows ETF providers to justifiably boost expense ratios while at the same time allowing investors access to previously untapped segments of the global market.
Of course, with these and any new launches, investors need to be conscious of volume.
With the regulatory assault on derivative-backed ETFs still dragging on, providers planning to launch active and leveraged products may want to consider weighing other options in their quest to make an impact on this lucrative industry. By introducing alternative international instruments, they can not only charge high expense ratios while avoiding the SEC's hammer, but also provide investors with exciting new investing opportunities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV