Four Stocks For Lovers of Chinese Food
The benchmark Shanghai Composite Index is currently trading at a price-to-earnings ratio of more than 18, which is significantly higher than the S&P 500's P/E of 15.2..
But small-cap Chinese stocks listed in the U.S. continue to remain undervalued as a result of limited interest from institutional investors and a lack of research coverage by U.S. brokers, say market experts. The scenario clearly presents ample opportunities for investors to ride on the growth story of companies in emerging markets.
One such opportunity to watch out for is in China's food sector. The country is home to the world's largest population with rising disposable income and as a result select small-sized companies are recording exponential sales growth.
ZhongpinThe company is a leading processor and distributor of meat and food products in China. Its product line includes 314 meat products including chilled pork, frozen pork, and prepared meats, and more than 20 vegetable and fruit products that are sold under the "Zhongpin" brand. China's dietary patterns are changing in favor of higher protein consumption and therefore, meat products. China is the largest market for pork in the world, accounting for half the global production and consumption, and is projected to grow at an average annual rate of 15% until 2012. Zhongpin, being a vertically integrated company with a strong franchise, expanding customer base, and a healthy balance sheet, is well-positioned to achieve and sustain a longstanding leadership status. Sales are likely to zoom from $726 million in 2009 to $948 million in 2010 and to $1.14 billion in 2011, according to analysts polled by Bloomberg. At about $12.70, the stock is trading at an attractive P/E of 8.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV