DALLAS ( TheStreet) -- Spirit Airlines said it will become the first carrier to charge for carry-on bags, largely because it wants to reduce boarding delays.
The privately-held carrier's new bag policy was announced Tuesday in conjunction with a reduction in ticket prices, with Spirit's lowest fares falling by $40. Passengers can still carry on a first item free, as long as it fits under the seat. For example, a small gym bag, a computer bag, or a coat would be free, but carrying on a roller board would trigger a fee.
Effective for flights departing Aug. 1 and later, the basic fee is $30 per bag. The charge rises to $45 if a passenger pays at the gate, a time-consuming process the airline hopes to discourage. The charge falls to $20 if a passenger pays $9 to join its "$9 Fare Club," which provides access to the lowest priced tickets.
"We don't think anyone loses in this," said CEO Ben Baldanza, in an interview. "The fares are coming down by over $40. If you carry on a bag, you will pay for it, but you will pay less than you pay today. If you don't carry on a bag, you pay less for your ticket."Baldanza said Spirit offers a far better deal than the Southwest (LUV) "bags fly free" offer, which he termed "disingenuous." On Southwest, he said, "bags don't really fly free. If you don't check a bag, you are still paying for those who do. Southwest won't give me a discount if I don't check a bag." The policy of charging for checked bags,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV