NEW YORK (TheStreet ) -- It may not be a three-to-one leverage, but large-cap miners Kinross (KGC), Barrick (ABX) and Newmont (NEM) can offer investors leverage on a forward-looking basis. This according to Adam Graf, director of emerging miners for Dahlman Rose & Co.
Gold's spot price year to date has risen 0.9% and the popular backed ETF, SPDR Gold Shares (GLD) has moved with it up 0.62%. By the three-to-one leverage standard, Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX), a basket of large cap miners, should be up nearly 3% year to date. Instead the index is down 5.08%.
Out of the top 10 miners in the GDX only two stocks, AngloGold Ashanti (AU) and Agnico Eagle (AEM), have positive returns in 2010. With gold prices trading around $1,100 an ounce, mining stocks should be offering investors some kind of operating leverage.
In the interview that follows, Graf offers his take on the notion that mining stocks typically offer a three-to-one leverage to gold's spot price. He also names a few miners that still offer the most forward-looking leverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV