NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Monsanto (MON) has been sapping the strength of the Market Vectors Agribusiness ETF (MOO) this year and did so again Monday, when it lost 0.6% on a day when MOO gained 0.4% and the S&P 500 advanced 0.8%.
Year to date, Monsanto has lost 13.6%. Because Monsanto still makes up a hefty 7.75% of assets in the MOO, the company's shares have dragged down the ETF, which has gained half as much as the S&P 500 this year (4% vs. 8%).
Monsanto plans to report earnings Wednesday, and the news should set the ETF's tone for the rest of the week.
In the previous two quarters, Monsanto earned 2 cents a share and then lost 2 cents share. Earnings estimates for the most recently completed quarter have come down almost 13% in the past three months, to $1.73 per share.Analysts are more positive about the current quarter that ends in May and have raised estimates by about 15% over the past three months. Positive guidance will probably be needed to break this stock out of its funk, however, but some traders expect it, with options buyers being heavily bullish of late.
|Who Owns Monsanto?|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV