NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks finished near the flat line after the Federal Open Market Committee released minutes in the afternoon from its March 16 meeting, offering a mixed assessment of the economic recovery and little indication about when an interest rate increase would come.
With the Dow Jones Industrial Average hovering just below the 11,000 mark, investors also wondered whether stocks could push the index back to a level not seen since September 2008.
But it was not to be Tuesday, as the Dow fell 4 points, or 0.03%, to close at 10,970. But the S&P 500 improved by nearly 2 points, or 0.2%, at 1189, as the Nasdaq went higher by 7 points, or 0.3%, at 2437.
The market had awaited hints in the FOMC minutes of when the group plans to hike its key rate from its near-zero level. But the group offered few giveaways, continuing to suggest economic concerns will probably keep a rate hike at bay in the immediate term. During the meeting,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV