During the same year, Porsche and Ferrari paid civil fines amounting to more than $9 million for not meeting corporate average fuel economy limits.
In 1999, Ford was asked to pay the government a civil fine of $425,000 to settle a row regarding the timeliness of Ford's April, 1996, recall of about 7.8 million vehicles made between 1988 and 1992 to replace ignition switches that had shown a risk of steering-column and under-dash fires, as well as the wholeness and accuracy of the company's responses to NHTSA requests for information in four investigations.
Also, in 1980, Firestone Tire & Rubber agreed to pay $500,000 in civil fines in connection to a case involving non-compliance investigations on Firestone 500 steel-belted radial tires and a related tire line manufactured by Firestone and marketed under the "Primero" brand name. It was the largest civil penalty ever assessed under the Safety Act at that time.Toyota American depository receipts are trading down 0.6% at $80.30 Wednesday, while Ford stock is up 0.9% at $12.80. -- Reported by Andrea Tse in New York
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV