Another automaker to keep an eye on right now is Nissan (NSANY), Edmunds.com analyst Jessica Caldwell said. Kyodo News on April 6 reported that Nissan is set to recall 25,024 passenger cars in five models sold in Japan because of defects in their gas pedals.
Caldwell said that if regulators discover "one root cause" of safety problems in the auto sector as a whole, they would have to "levy similar penalties among other automakers. That would only be fair."
Though Toyota remains the poster child of vehicle safety problems, Caldwell said that judging by Toyota's March sales of 166,644 vehicles, "It's hard to say a lot of people don't think their vehicles are safe."The automaker recorded a 35.3% rise in March U.S. sales compared to the previous year amid aggressive customer incentives. Consumer complaints of unintended acceleration have been filed against Ford (F), Chrysler, General Motors, Honda (HMC), Nissan with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Caldwell notes that the $16.38 million fine against Toyota, while significant, isn't the biggest of its financial worries right now. Pending litigation and class-action law suits, on the other hand, pose the most significant risks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV