Toyota announced on May 4 that more than three million remedies have been performed for three recent recalls, including those for sticking accelerator pedals and floor mat pedal entrapment. Toyota said the fixes include 1.6 million to address the potential for sticking accelerator pedals, and 1.5 million to address the potential for floor mat pedal entrapment, as well as 115,000 program updates to the anti-lock brake systems in certain 2010 Prius and Lexus models.
Toyota said that more than 732,000 vehicles have received both the floor mat and sticking pedal modifications, bringing the total number of recalled vehicles that have been serviced to about 2.4 million.
On April 19, U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood gave a public response to Toyota's agreement to pay the largest civil penalty ever assessed against an auto manufacturer by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regarding the company's failure to notify the auto safety agency of its dangerous "sticky pedal" defect for at least four months, despite knowing of the potential risk to consumers."I am pleased that Toyota has accepted responsibility for violating its legal obligations to report any defects promptly. We are continuing to investigate whether the company has lived up to all its disclosure obligations," LaHood said. Read on for TheStreet's April coverage of Toyota's large, civil penalty over its vehicle defects and how it compares to its peers' past civil fines....
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV