John Silvia, Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo (WFC) Chief Economist John Silvia recently published his views on the recently passed health care bill and his outlook for Treasuries.
On health care, he says higher tax rates on investment earnings will eventually lead to lower investment throughout the economy. "The new tax on medical devices and pharmaceutical companies will modestly reduce profitability of these firms and increase their cost of capital. This could lead to less innovation and product development."
On Treasuries, he says the dollar could gain against other currencies when the Federal Reserve boosts rates. "If the Federal Reserve pushes short-term rates higher before other central banks, as we currently expect, it should prove modestly positive for the value of the dollar. Relative interest rates will likely favor dollar-dominated assets for the rest of this year and into 2011."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV