NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Toyota (TM) U.S.A. on Thursday reported March sales results of 186,863 units, an increase of 35.3% over the same period last year.
The company's Toyota division recorded March sales of 166,644 vehicles, an increase of 35.1% over the year-ago month, while Lexus reported sales of 20,219 units in March, up 36.5% over March of last year.
Passenger car sales were led by Camry and Camry Hybrid and light truck sales were led by the RAV4 compact SUV.
Improved sales for Toyota in March were expected despite its massive recalls and still unresolved sudden-acceleration problems, given that the company has been offering aggressive customer incentives to lure them back into Toyota dealerships. It remains to be seen whether the stronger sales can be sustained and whether they have more to do with the customer incentives, rather than the genuine restoring of trust in the brand.
For the first quarter, Toyota reported sales of 385,686 vehicles, an increase of 8.7% over the same period in 2009.-- Reported by Andrea Tse in New York
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV