When it comes to risk, investors would be wise to remember that the environmental lobby will have something to say about this about-face by the Democratic party and President Obama on a long-standing moratorium on offshore drilling.
Whales won't be the only ones whose tops blow over the issue of offshore drilling in the mid-Atlantic, eastern Gulf of Mexico, and Alaska. The Department of Interior received 102 comment letters from environmental and other related interest organizations about the proposal. The Sierra Club and other powerful environmental lobbies were out quickly with positions staunchly against President Obama's proposal.
Still, the Democratic Party is trying to position the oil and gas industry carrot as a politically Machiavellian means of attaining the larger goal of comprehensive energy policy including carbon cap and trade legislation.
President Obama has already embraced nuclear energy, and even major wildlife advocacy groups have said that the real politik of U.S. energy policy demands a comprehensive solution -- clean energy cannot shut out conventional energy means.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV