Of course, oil and gas exploration is a high-risk business, and not surprisingly, there were some significant stock pops in some of the more speculative oil and gas sector drilling players.
Hercules Offshore (HERO) got off to a quick start on Wednesday, up 6% right after the White House announced its intention to open up offshore reserves. Analysts say that highly leveraged Hercules is more like an option than an equity play.
Nevertheless, investors seemed to come to their senses regarding the vague potential from the sea change in offshore energy, and Hercules ended Wednesday only up 3 cents, to $4.32, and was up by 1.4% on Thursday, to $4.38. Vantage Drilling (VTG) was up 2.7% on Thursday, but 3% of the $1.52 drilling stock represented a gain of 4 cents.
There's a much larger issue related to risk and offshore potential than the most speculative of the drilling stocks. History provides ample evidence of why investors should retain a healthy level of skepticism about the offshore energy assets.In the Georges Bank area of the North Atlantic, for example, energy company consortiums drilled in 1976 and 1977 to gain geologic information prior to offshore Federal petroleum exploration leasing. After leases were awarded, eight industry exploration wells were drilling between 1981 and 1982. Energy companies forked over more than $816 million dollars for the offshore tracts. The rewards? As noted in a report from the Department of the Interior in 2000, "None of these
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV