Story updated with comments from NYU marketing professor.
CUPERTINO, Calif. (TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) hardly needs to feed the hype surrounding its iPad launch, but the tech giant's product placement team has been carefully putting the device into some high-profile hands.
|Stephen Colbert gets some help from the iPad at the Grammy Awards|
Last night's episode of ABC's comedy Modern Family felt like a half-hour iPad commercial -- all that was missing was Steve Jobs and his black turtleneck (the Apple supremo did get a mention, though). The subtly-titled episode, "Game Changer," described a bungled quest to buy one of the first iPads and gave viewers some quick and adoring glimpses of the device towards the end of the show.
"I was surprised by the intensity of the placement -- it wasn't a small part of the story," Jay Newell, associate professor of advertising at Iowa State University, told TheStreet. "[But] Modern Family fits very well with Apple's marketing -- it's smart, kind of Californian, and middle class."The show focused more on the brouhaha surrounding the iPad launch than the actual device itself, as if Apple was poking fun at the whole iPad hype-cycle. "Next week -- that's the worst thing you can say to an early adopter!" spat character Phil. The same actor was shown lovingly caressing an iPad at the end of the show. Part company, part technology cult-leader, Apple has carefully cultivated an image of edgy exclusivity for its products. The Silicon Valley heavyweight is also pushing the iPad as a fun device, as evidenced by recent -- albeit fleeting -- appearances.
|Stockpickr Answers Any thoughts on selling strategies for Apple with the release of the iPad?|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV