The stock has slumped since that announcement, losing 6% through Wednesday's close at $4.05. The Treasury's cost basis for its stake is $3.25 per share, so it was sitting on a paper profit of around $6.2 billion for its 7.7 billion shares when the yesterday's closing bell sounded. Citigroup shares were up 1.5% to $4.12 in recent trades.
Primerica sells term life insurance, variable annuities and various mutual fund products to middle-income consumers. It relies heavily on leads generated by new sales recruits, and says it has more than 100,000 licensed representatives. The model prompted skepticism from Morningstar analyst Jim Ryan, who recommended avoiding the IPO.
Investors appear to choosing for today at least to look past this criticism, as well as some regulatory concerns raised by the company in its official filings, to concentrate on its earnings.According to its S-1, Primerica posted net income of $494.6 million on revenue of $2.22 billion in 2009, up from a profit of $167.7 million on slightly lower revenue in 2008. The higher profit resulted from the absence of charges recording in 2008 related to goodwill impairment of certain assets that declined in value due to the financial crisis. -- Written by Michael Baron in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV