ISM Reaches Highest Level Since 2004
TEMPE, Ariz. (TheStreet) -- The Institute for Supply Management's Manufacturing Business Survey showed its eighth consecutive month of growth in March, and its fastest-growth rate since July 2004, according to the latest ISM data released on Thursday mid-morning.
New orders and production reached above the 60-point mark, positive indicators that offset a decline in the ISM's employment index, which slipped by a point in March.
The PMI registered 59.6 in March, an increase of 3.1% over February's seasonally adjusted reading of 56.5. If the PMI for March is annualized, it corresponds to a 5.9% increase in real GDP annually, the ISM reported.
The ISM's new orders index was 2 percentage points higher than the seasonally adjusted 59.5 percent registered in February -- the ninth consecutive month of growth in the new orders index.ISM's Employment Index registered 55.1% in March, which is 1% lower than the seasonally adjusted 56.1% reported in February. Still, it was the fourth consecutive month of growth in manufacturing employment. Thirteen of the 18 manufacturing industries reported growth in employment in March. -- Reported by Eric Rosenbaum in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV