Borders Stocks Soars as Profit Doubles
The news is sending shares soaring 50% to $2.58 cents in morning trading.
During the quarter, Borders earned $59.9 million, or 91 cents a share, compared with $29.6 million, or 49 cents, in the year-ago period.
Still, there is plenty of work to be done, as Borders sales dropped 13% to $946.5 million, and same-store sales tumbled 14% at namesake stores and 8.5% at Waldenbooks.Borders also said Wednesday evening that it repaid a $42.5 million loan from Ackman's investment firm Pershing Square. The deadline for the loan was today, and had already been extended three times. Borders closed on a new $90 million term credit facility and entered a new $700 million asset-based credit facility. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV