NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Several stocks trading near $5 were moving on above-average volume during Tuesday's session.
Versar (VSR) rallied by 74 cents, or 27%, to $3.48 after the company landed two contracts. Versar said it was awarded a five-year, $7.6 million contract to review and evaluate pesticide product and residue chemistry data by the Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP), Health Effects Division (HED), of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). In addition, the U.S. Army awarded Versar with a $29.5 million contract to provide surface and limited subsurface clearance services to safely locate, identify, mark and dispose of military munitions and explosives that exist at Fort Irwin. Volume topped 582,000 shares, compared to the three-month average daily volume of 14,700, according to Yahoo! Finance.
LGL Group (LGL) jumped by $1.76, or 43.5%, to $5.81 after the electronic components manufacturer posted a fourth-quarter profit of 15 cents a share, swinging from a year-ago loss of 5 cents a share. Volume topped 99,900 shares, compared to the three-month average daily volume of 3,200.
Opexa Therapeutics (OPXA) gained 40 cents, or 20.7%, to $2.33 after the Rodman & Renshaw analyst initiated coverage of the stock with a market outperform rating and price target of $6. Volume topped 2.34 million shares, compared to the 50-day average daily volume of 200,000, according to the Nasdaq.Food Technology Service (VIFL) surged by $1.64, or 82%, to $3.64 after the company posted a full-year profit of 20 cents on revenue of $2.51 million, compared with earnings of 18 cents a share on revenue of $2.50 million in 2008. Volume topped 728,000 shares, compared to the 50-day average daily volume of 8,800. -- Written by Robert Holmes in Boston. Check out all of Tuesday's high-volume, under-$5 stocks at the Dollar Store Follow Robert Holmes on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV