An extreme case of hyperinflation occurred recently in Zimbabwe. Investors buy all types of assets during hyperinflation to escape currency devaluation, including equities, which have some real value behind the shares. Zimbabwe was no different, and the country's stock market appreciated 322,111% in 2007, while the currency officially depreciated by about 12,000%.
An American investor who put $10,000 in the Zimbabwe stock market at the start of the year would have seen his or her portfolio grow to $32 million, ignoring the currency depreciation. Once the currency was returned to dollars, the investor would be left with a still healthy $270,000. If the investor hedged his or her exposure, though, the return would have been the full $32 million.
For those investors who worry about currency devaluation in Japan in the long run but expect Japanese stocks to rally, DXJ is the ETF to consider.
-- Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.At the time of publication, Dion had no positions in stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV