While being flanked by Marcellus, an adorable 11-year-old boy in a matching blue necktie, whose mother's death was attriubted to a lack of health insurance, Obama characterized the passing health reform as a triumph of "hope over fear."
Brave, or foolish, congressional Republicans, who of whom voted in a block against health care, are ignoring this child and promising to make repealing this reform a campaign issue.
State attorneys general from South Carolina, Nebraska, Texas, Utah, Alabama, Louisiana, South Dakota, Colorado, Michigan, Idaho, and Florida are filing a lawsuit claiming that because the Founding Fathers did not include a health insurance mandate in the Constitution, that the law should be overturned as unconstitutional or not be applied to their particular states.
The conventional wisdom of the president's party losing congressional seats in midterm elections may now have been tossed on its head. Instead of looking weak and failing to pass reform in the face of absolute unified opposition, the president proved his party has a backbone and can govern.The Republicans' ideology provides that they stick with their anti-health care reform position even if the armageddon they predicted does not happen. They will go into the next election on a platform of taking away health care from children with pre-existing medical conditions and raising prescription costs for seniors, so all bets are off. -- Reported by Kevin Baker in Jupiter, Fla.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV