[A Trane logo hangs outside Trane headquarters in Parsippany, New Jersey. Ingersoll-Rand, the world's largest maker of truck-refrigeration units, owns Trane.]
Ingersoll-Rand (IR) announced in an SEC filing on April 1 that because of the new healthcare law, the tax benefits available to Ingersoll-Rand will be reduced to the extent its prescription drug expenses are reimbursed under the Medicare Part D retiree drug subsidy program.
Although the provisions of the healthcare reform legislation as it pertains to the retiree drug subsidy program do not take effect until 2013, the company -- as with the others that follow -- is required to recognize the full accounting impact in its financial statements in the reporting period in which the healthcare reform legislation is enacted. This led Ingersoll to announce a non-cash charge to income tax expense in the first quarter of 2010 of about $41 million, or roughly 12 cents a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV