SILVER SPRING, Md.
/PRNewswire/ -- The Original Velatis® Caramels,
, maker of fine caramels and candies since 1866, has returned to its
, roots with the opening of a new store located at 8408 B Georgia Ave.,
Silver Spring, Md.
After 15 years of waiting, Washingtonians will now be able to walk in and purchase the candy treats they have enjoyed for generations.
The company, which officially opened last December, held a grand opening celebration to commemorate its return to the area and is celebrating 15 years of ownership by the Servais family, long-time customers who purchased the business in 1996. Before returning to the
area, they operated Velatis out of
, and then
, where they sold candy via mail order and eventually online through the company's web site.
"We've finally found our way back home," said
, Velatis' owner. "We recognized that the greatest percentage of our online orders came from the D.C. area so it made sense to return, open a store here and continue the Velatis tradition – we have customers who have been buying our candy for five generations."
The company's original store, founded by
, was started in
, prior to the Civil War. Velati moved to
, and opened a store which was located at 9th and G streets from 1866 to 1972 until it was demolished to accommodate the Metro rail system. The company was sold to Woodward & Lothrop department store in downtown
, where it operated until they went bankrupt.
The Original Velatis (
; 888-835-2847) Caramels is a private, family-owned company, making fresh-to-order fine caramels and candies since 1866. Located in
Silver Spring, Md.
, Velatis employs nine employees who manufacture caramels and candies with old European recipes using only the finest ingredients, with no preservatives or artificial ingredients. Velatis makes more than 20 varieties of candy, including: traditional sugary and chewy caramels, toffee, fine chocolates, truffles and ice cream toppings.
for company information.
SOURCE The Original Velatis