(Bank of America loan modification details added to this update.)
Bank of America, the country's biggest home lender, announced a plan on Wednesday to begin examining principal forgiveness ahead of rate reduction when modifying its "most severely underwater" loans. Subprime, pay-option and prime two-year hybrid mortgages will be eligible for its newly formulated program if they are at least 60 days delinquent.
The move is likely to lead to writedowns but also help the most struggling homeowners who don't qualify for help through a federal workout plan. Bank of America's plan will target borrowers who owe more than 120% of what their homes are worth, and offer interest-free forgiveness on loan payments, as long as they stay current. It expects to implement the plan in May and extend its overall workout program for six additional months, through Dec. 31, 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV