In what was probably one of CTIA's worst-kept secrets, the telco took the wraps off the EVO 4G, which it claims will shake up the smartphone market. Built by HTC, the EVO 4G was originally codenamed "'Supersonic," and runs Google's (GOOG) Android operating system.
(QCOM), and Sprint is pushing the device as an alternative to camcorders and even DVRs. "It's a terrific smartphone, even on 3G networks," Hesse told a packed press conference. "Even if you just have 3G coverage, this is as good as it gets." There has already been speculation that the EVO 4G could mount a big challenge to Apple's iconic iPhone. A Sprint spokeswoman told TheStreet that the 4G phone will be "aggressively priced" when it is launched during the summer. The high-speed smartphone market is certainly a goldmine for companies like Sprint. During Apple's recent first-quarter results, iPhone shipments climbed a massive 100% compared with the same period last year, helping grow the company's overall revenue by more than 30% to $15.68 billion. Sprint is in third place in the wireless market, behind AT&T (T) and Verizon (VZ), but is the trailblazer for high-speed 4G networks. With consumers and businesses clamoring for faster data speeds, Sprint launched its first 4G network in Baltimore in September 2008. 4G, which is said to be up to 10 times faster than 3G, has already been extended to 27 cities, according to Sprint. Working closely with its WiMax partner, Clearwire (CLWR), the telecom giant says that this coverage will be extended even further during 2010. Despite all the buzz surrounding 4G, there is some skepticism about when the technology will deliver investor upside. Ericsson (ERIC)CFO Jan Frykhammar, for example, has warned that 4G will not generate significant revenue until 2012. Follow James Rogers on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV