(Article on Saks store closing updated with comments from Saks CEO.)
CEO Stephen Sadove said during Citigroup's (C) Retail Conference, which was broadcast over the Internet, that Saks could close money-losing stores as their leases come due.
The company said in a release on Tuesday that it will shutter its Saks Fifth Avenue stores at Pioneer Place Mall in Portland, Ore., which will affect about 100 employees.Sadove said there won't be a ton of store closures, but there most certainly won't be many new openings. "This is not where the growth is going to be," he said. Instead, Sadove is looking to boost profitability at existing stores. Saks' Internet operation, which Sadove said has become the biggest store in terms of sales, is another area for growth. The goal: to boost gross margins, bringing them back to 2007 levels, which Sadove said is possible as sales improvements seen over the holidays are expected to continue.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV