Natural Gas Drilling Study
Cramer spoke with Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D., N.Y.), who recently introduced legislation to study the effects of hydraulic fracturing, a method of drilling for natural gas, on our nation's drinking water. Cramer said all opinions need to be aired when it comes to using natural gas a bridge fuel for the future.
Hinchey said that his bill is aimed at making sure that drilling for natural gas is not done in an irresponsible manner, in a way that would harm either air or water quality or personal safety of nearby residents. He said that his aim is not to delay the expansion for drilling in the U.S. but simply to study it and make sure it's being done wisely.
Hinchey refuted claims by the Sierra Club and others that hydraulic fracturing has never caused any damage to drinking water by saying that he has seen evidence that if drilling is not done properly, it can, and has, caused such damage.Cramer said that if Hinchey's bill delays drilling in the U.S., that would be bad news for the naturla gas drillers, and he'll be watching this study closely.
Lightning RoundCramer was bullish on BP (BP), Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNI), CSX (CSX), Potash (POT), MarkWest Energy Partners (MWE) and BP Prudhoe Bay Royalty Trust (BPT). He was bearish on Chevron (CVX). -- Written by Scott Rutt in Washington D.C. To watch replays of Cramer's video segments, visit the Mad Money page on CNBC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV