BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Oil prices have dipped to a three-week low, hurt by a stronger U.S. dollar. Still, oil futures have risen almost 50% in the past year. Energy equipment and services stocks are protected from retreating oil prices. Here are the top three stocks in that sector, according to TheStreet's quantitative equity model.
3. Atwood Oceanics (ATW) engages in offshore drilling and provides support and consulting services to other oil and gas explorers.
Quarter: Fiscal first-quarter profit decreased 15% to $67 million, or $1.03 a share, as revenue declined 0.8% to $164 million. The operating margin narrowed from 56% to 50%. Atwood Oceanics holds $187 million of cash and $275 million of debt.
Stock: Atwood Oceanics has nearly doubled in the past year, outperforming U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-projected-earnings ratio of 7.5 and a price-to-book ratio of 1.9, reflecting 65% and 28% discounts to peer-group averages.Consensus: Of analysts covering Atwood Oceanics, six advise purchasing its shares, 10 recommend holding and two suggest selling them. C.K. Cooper & Co. offers the loftiest price target, expecting the stock to advance another 81% to $62.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV