(Tata Nano EV story updated with pre-market stock price movements.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Based on Morningstar's estimated price of around $8,000 to $10,000, Tata Motors' (TTM) proposed electric car would be chosen over the other electric car options -- and by a resounding margin -- according to a poll by TheStreet.
A full 81.6% of our survey respondents say they would opt for the Tata Nano EV over other electric car options, while 18.4% believe that the proposed Nano EV car is still a bit pricey, or just too small -- or both.
Other electric cars soon to hit the market include Nissan's (NSANY) Leaf and GM's Chevrolet Volt, which are expected to be available for sale by the end of the year.GM's gas-electric Volt has a reported price tag of $40,000, and will run roughly 40 miles running on an electric charge, while Nissan's 100% electric Leaf will reportedly be sold for less than $30,000 after tax rebates, and will boast a range of about 100 miles. According to Consumer Reports, consumers are ready for electric cars. Consumer Reports says 26% of consumers who participated in a random, U.S.-wide phone survey indicated they are likely to consider a plug-in electric car the next time they are in the market for a new vehicle, and 7% said they are very likely to consider it. According to the study, consumers would ideally like electric cars with a range of 89 miles -- this is a median -- for everyday driving. Based on Consumer Reports' findings, the Nissan Leaf would meet this need. On the other hand, according to Consumer Reports, "because a plug-in car combines pure electric operation with a range-extending, gasoline-fueled engine, the Volt and similar vehicles coming down the road can provide significantly greater travel distances between charges than pure electric cars, thereby satisfying needs that go well beyond weekday commuting."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV