Within the insular maritime-shipping community, disagreement reigns on the question of whether Somali piracy has levied any real cost on the business of moving goods across the oceans -- or whether it threatens to do so. The answers depend on who you talk to, and the more they talk, the more the notion of risk elides.
"It's no big deal -- insurance covers it," says the shipping investment specialist at a well-known New York fund."Put it this way: shipping companies aren't overly concerned about rising costs because of piracy," says the shipping-industry stock analyst at Jeffries & Co. The maritime lawyer says: "It's putting a lot of pressure on costs at a time when the market is still quite depressed from where it was 18 months ago. Either you pass on those costs or it drops to the bottom line."
The hostage crisis James Christodoulou supervised for 56 days between Thanksgiving 2008 and late January 2009 has transformed him, a year later, into a bankable expert on all things piracy. In the aftermath of the hijacking of his company's ship, the MV Biscaglia [pictured above], (a story first told in The Wall Street Journal days after the ship's release), his expertise has become almost a second career. He recently gave a presentation at NASA. Topic: crisis management. His fame arguably reached its height during the Maersk Alabama drama of April 2009; he spent a lot of time in the Manhattan green rooms of cable all-news channels; he was a virtual sidekick to Shepard Smith. Larry King had him on twice. Christodoulou is also a frequent speaker at shipping conferences, where he sits on panels and keynotes seminars, and lectures in front of ballrooms full of maritime executives. He talks about anti-piracy measures, he says, "and about what we did, what our best practices were, and how best to deal with piracy."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV