Health Care Vote Critical to Coming Week
In addition to the week's regular offerings, Tuesday will see an auction of 2-year notes, followed Wednesday by an auction of 5-year notes. Thursday will bring an auction of 7-year notes. "That's where a lot of pressure in the bond market will come from," he says.
Suskind says he'll be on the lookout for comments from Fed officials, as several regional bank presidents will offer remarks during the week.
Atlanta Fed President Dennis Lockhart will speak twice on Monday, followed Tuesday by Philadelphia Fed President Charles Plosser and San Francisco Fed chief Janet Yellen, who is in the running to replace Donald Kohn as the Fed's vice chair.
On Wednesday, Kansas City Fed President Thomas Hoenig -- the lone dissenting vote when the Federal Open Market Committee left the fed funds target rate unchanged at the January meeting -- will offer remarks on the financial foundation for Main Street.Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke will appear Thursday before the House Financial Services Committee to speak about exit strategy. Bernanke had been scheduled to appear on Capital Hill on Feb. 10, although the hearing was delayed due to inclement weather. Cleveland Fed President Sandra Pianalto will also speak Thursday, followed Friday by Fed Governors Kevin Warsh and Daniel Tarullo. Market participants will be on high alert for any change to the Fed's discount window rate, which is the rate the central bank charges on direct loans to banks. Rumors of a discount rate hike, which would be the second in as many months, put pressure on the stock market Thursday but also lent support to the dollar. -- Written by Robert Holmes in Boston. Follow Robert Holmes on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV