BOSTON (TheStreet) -- February retail sales rose 0.9%, excluding cars and gas, the fourth gain in five months. A niche that's outperforming is denim, once the working man's material that now fetches up to $200 in young people's jeans. Here are three stocks to consider.
3. Joe's Jeans (JOEZ) sells high-end women's denim through third parties, its Web site and company-owned boutiques and outlet stores. Pairs typically fetch between $100 and $200. Black Friday same-store sales surged 169% in 2009.
Quarter: Fourth-quarter profit multiplied 18 times to $20 million, or 33 cents a share, as revenue grew 42% to $25 million. The operating margin widened from 7% to 12%. Joe's balance sheet holds $13 million of cash and $3.1 million of debt.
Stock: Joe's Jeans has soared 830% in the past year, outperforming U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-projected-earnings ratio of 25, a 29% premium to its peer-group average. The shares are cheap based on book value and sales.Consensus: Just one sell-side firm, Roth Capital Partners, covers Joe's Jeans, rating its stock "buy." The shares have already surpassed the firm's $2.25 price target, implying limited upside. Still, the stock jumped 16% in the past four weeks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV